Our patients rely on us to be experts in oral health. Your dental team is your #1 defense against Oral Cancer – in fact, a lifesaver, literally. No other medical professionals are as well positioned to address this potentially deadly disease in its early stages. The key is to identify abnormalities in the mouth in their most easily treated stage of development.There is a simple technology to help in your fight against oral cancer. Velscope Vx aids in the early detection of abnormalities that can lead to cancer. Velscope Vx has been approved by the FDA to be the only adjunctive early detection system currently on the market. Annual Velscope exams allow us to deliver you superior care.
Statistics of Oral Cancer:
- Every hour of every day, one American dies of oral cancer.
- The mortality rate associated with oral cancer has not improved significantly in the last 40 years.
- The death rate in the United States for oral cancer is higher than that of cervical cancer, Hodgkin’s disease, cancer of the brain, liver, testes, kidney, or ovary.
- More than 30,000 Americans will receive an oral cancer diagnosis this year. In five years, only 57% will still be alive.
- 25% of oral cancer victims do not use tobacco or alcohol and have no other lifestyle risk factors.
Oral Cancer Risk Factors:
- Patients ag 18-39 with lifestle risk factors are at an increased risk
- HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) positive
- Patients over 40 years old who use tobacco or have quit within the last 10 years
- Patients over 40 years old who consume alcohol as little as 1 drink/week
- Patients with history of oral cancer
- Patients with family history of cancer of any kind
Note: If you fall into ANY of these risk factor groups, you should be screened annually